Proposal: multiple binaries, one source package

Cody A.W. Somerville cody-somerville at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 2 01:40:29 UTC 2009

Hello Team,

The work I've been doing the last few days to get the Xubuntu documentation
updated and Matthew's unhappiness with some of the changes I've made to the
setup in Launchpad has gotten me thinking. The root reason why the Xubuntu
docs now has its own project in launchpad is because Xubuntu has its own
source package. Matthew has talked a lot about working together and I think
thats awesome. So why don't we really take things to the next level and do
something that will actually assist us in doing just that - multiple
binaries, one source package.

No, this has nothing to do with the similarly named and very disgusting
video. Instead, it has to do with sharing! Sharing is good, right? Well lets
share the same codebase. Lets have one source package that is used to build
binaries containing the documentation for all the derivitives. This would
allow us to share common material, a single shared build process, a single
shared bzr branch, and a single project on launchpad. How to setup ones
printer may be more than just slightly different in Ubuntu compared to
Xubuntu but how to use pdigin to connect to MSN isn't. How to change the
theme might be more than just slightly different in Kubuntu compared to
Edubuntu but the basics of using the command line are the same. Lets reuse
that common stuff!

I've talked to Jim about this and he said he learnt some interesting stuff
at a recent conference he attended in this area. I think this would be an
interesting topic to pursue for Karmic. What do other folks think?

Cheers,

--
Cody A.W. Somerville
Software Systems Release Engineer