[Fwd: [STUDENTS] Documenting suspend/hibernation problems]

Dougie Richardson ddrichardson at btinternet.com
Sat Sep 27 23:42:31 UTC 2008

Hi,

> 1. Should the 'help' only consider users who are using Hardy or
> previous versions?

The system documentation is specific to the version it is installed on, so
yes only the current version (not forgetting the LTS).

> 2. Should we suggest that users consider upgrading to Hardy unless they
> have a specific reason why they shouldn't?

If this is in the help system then no, if it's a link to an external
document (so possibly running on an older version) then probably yes.

> 3. Some solutions are easier than others. Should the 'help' cover the
> actual solutions or just define what the issue could be so that users
> can use the forums to access possible solutions, receive help, etc

That depends on the level of complication and the volume of solutions. If
there is a commonality in them then that may be worth basing it on a trouble
shooting type guide. For example, when I did the wireless guide, it was
apparent that although there are specific problems with different chipsets
which were too specific to integrate - IPv6, DNS and drivers were
consistently in most all prior guides.

Regards,

Dougie