Usage of apturl in the documentation

Dougie Richardson ddrichardson at btinternet.com
Sat Sep 27 16:16:56 UTC 2008

Matthew,

> Well, if we are getting that paranoid, it's possible to trick many
> users into installing applications without apt-url, as well. I don't
> know of any reported incidents of that type for our wiki though.

Accusations of paranoia aren't constructive - that comes across as a flim-flam technique to discredit my concerns in the eyes of the unfamiliar. The assertion that it hasn't happened is mute - we are discussing potential exploits. It’s a legitimate concern, listed in the specification.

If you are saying that it’s a minor concern and the benefits outweigh any concern then that’s a different position. However at the moment you're accusing me of paranoia and qualifying it by saying that the development team know best.

> And if the Ubuntu development team was happy to enable apt-url in
> firefox and gnome so that the protocol works on any site where the
> administration chooses to use it, (and it's clear from the spec that
> this risk was considered already) then it just doesn't make sense to
> me to avoid using on the Ubuntu help wiki. I don't think as a team we
> are well equipped to reconsider an issue already considered by the
> development team.

I wasn't aware there was a hierarchy and I think that statement implies a disservice to other members of the documentation team. You must do what you feel is best of course but that doesn’t preclude me from voicing an opinion - that's the reason I switched to this project in the first place.

Regards,

Dougie Richardson