Usage of apturl in the documentation

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 26 07:34:16 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 8:33 AM, Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> We're currently considering whether to use apturl in installation
> instructions on the Ubuntu documentation wiki at
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community, and potentially also in the onboard
> documentation provided with yelp (Ubuntu/Xubuntu) or khelpcenter
> (Kubuntu).
>
> Can you confirm that there are no security related reasons for not
> doing so? Are there any other disadvantages that you can see with
> converting our instructions to use apturl.

I chatted to Michael about this today on irc, and he confirmed that
apturl is safe to use on the help wiki and system documentation, as it
only installs packages from the user's repositories.

I think on that basis we can go forward with this, I'll talk to the
sysadmins about enabling on the wiki and during the next release cycle
we can work on converting our instructions to use it in both the
system and online docs.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org