use of alerts on the help wiki

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Sat Sep 20 12:23:28 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Andrew Sayers
<andrew-ubuntu-doc at pileofstuff.org> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> As Matthew said, our only disagreement is about which types of alert to
> include.  Although I think it's valuable to discuss a default set of
> alerts, I increasingly think we don't have enough information to make a
> really good decision.  As such, I agree that starting with a small set
> of alerts is best, but I think we should give authors an extension
> mechanism, so they can vote with their feet.

People can simply write to the list to propose and discuss a new alert
if there is a genuine need! That's the case with Tags too.

> It should be possible to give people either or both of:
>
> <<Alert("message", "title", "icon", "background colour", ...)>>
>
> or:
>
> <<Alert("message", "class")>>

These are too complicated, I think. The reason I liked the original
usage of <<Warning(message)>> and wanted to limit the alerts to three,
is that this makes things so simple that all authors should be able to
pick them up and start using them trouble-free.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org