documentation logo

Dustin Kirkland dustin.kirkland at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 03:16:29 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 8:50 PM, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> It's not clear to me from manpages.ubuntu.com. There's a big "Ubuntu"
> logo at the top, and no other prominent credits. Sometimes an
> individual manual page has an "AUTHOR" section, but I haven't worked
> out whether that's the author of the software, the manual page, or
> both.

When a particular manpage has an AUTHOR section, that's generally the
author of that particular manual/documentation.

> I don't think any of that is an actual problem. But it does show that
> putting the pages on a separate site doesn't make attribution clearer.

Fair enough.  I'm open to suggestions, including modifying the logo
(which is how this thread originally started!)

> Is the primary purpose of manpages.ubuntu.com to give credit to
> upstream authors, or to help people using Ubuntu?
>
> If it is to help people using Ubuntu, I think it would help more people
> if the navigation was integrated with that of help.ubuntu.com.

Definitely to help people using Ubuntu.

> All other factors aside, I think it would be good for the domain name
> to look less like it belongs to an online dating site. Would it be
> difficult for this separate server to serve help.ubuntu.com/manuals,
> instead of having its own domain?

I will talk to Canonical IT about running a reverse proxy to
transparently serve all of that content from a help.ubuntu.com
location.

help.ubuntu.com/manuals and help.ubuntu.com/manpages have been
suggested...  Could we perhaps come to a consensus before I file the
request with IT?

:-Dustin