Usage of apturl in the documentation

Connor Imes rocket2dmn at aol.com
Fri Sep 5 22:51:35 UTC 2008

Sorry for the dupe Matt, I didn't send to the list.

Matthew East wrote:
> Does anyone know of any potential disadvantages to switching to apturl
> as our preferred method of giving an instruction to install software?

I don't know what the security is behind some other program being able
to hijack the apt:// protocol, but it's something to consider.  On a
non-security note, if somebody were to be reading directions to somebody
else or if the user wasn't reading the documentation from the machine
they wanted to do the install on, they might get confused.
> I haven't thought of a neat way to express an installation instruction
> so that it is helpful both to an Ubuntu user who can use apturl and
> just click a link, and those reading the page from another operating
> system or printing the page. I guess it would be something like:
>
>  * Install ''package'' (by clicking here, or visiting
> SoftwareInstallation for more information).
>
> But that's a little unwieldy. Does anyone have any neater ideas?

Agreed, but I think about the best we can do is "Install ''packagename''
with your favorite [[SoftwareInstallation| Package Manager]] or other
install method.  This covers any situation which the user would likely
be in.

-Connor