feedback on new wiki theme

Jordan Mantha laserjock at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 5 21:31:02 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 1:56 PM, Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently I've been developing a new theme which is intended to replace
> the existing themes on the documentation wiki
> (https://help.ubuntu.com/community). The intention of the theme is to
> make reading the wiki easier for a user (so the interface should be
> cleaner) and for an editor (so there is an editbar at the bottom of
> the screen which follows the window as you scroll).
>
> This is a call for testing and feedback of the theme. I'd really like
> to implement a similar theme for the development wiki at
> wiki.ubuntu.com if the feedback is positive.
>
> To test the theme, log into the help wiki and go to the preferences
> page (UserPreferences). Set the theme to 'ubuntunew' (you can easily
> set it back later). Then just edit a few pages and see what you think.
>
> It still needs some work in terms of the fonts and rigorous testing
> with non-firefox browsers, but I'd appreciate any additional feedback
> that people have at this stage. Please send comments to me, or if you
> are really keen, patches! The code is here:
>
> https://code.launchpad.net/~mdke/ubuntu-doc/helpwiki-newtheme

This is a very nice theme and looks more professional and usable to
me. My only complaint is that it's rather narrow on all my computers
(widescreen laptop and LCD displays). It looks like we're losing an
awful lot of screen real estate. Is it possible to make it a fluid
rather than fixed width theme? http://www.ubuntu.com has the same
issue. It ends up looking rather cramped on all my computers and more
like a blog site (perhaps because of the ubiquity of some of
Wordpresses past default themes :-) ).

-Jordan