new wiki theme

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 1 21:14:32 UTC 2008

Hiya,

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 8:34 PM, Phil Bull <philbull at gmail.com> wrote:
> Rather than merging the official and community documentation, why not
> just have a front page and search mechanism common to both? This front
> page would be editable on the wiki (perhaps only by trusted users?) to
> allow quick updating when wiki content changes, and would include
> well-organised links to both the official and community docs. It would
> be a sort of hybrid of the existing official docs' table of contents and
> the wiki's FrontPage. Here's an ugly mockup [1].
>
> In this scheme, the official and community docs would be stored where
> they are now. Users would be unaware of the distinction, apart from the
> slightly different URLs, the absence/presence of an Edit button, and
> some text in the theme denoting what type of document is being viewed
> [2] [3].
>
> With the appropriate search mechanism (perhaps Google Custom Search) we
> could weight the search results appropriately too.

This is kinda what I meant. I'm just wondering if the simplest way to
achieve what you've described isn't to make the wiki host the whole
site, move it to help.ubuntu.com rather than help.ubuntu.com/community
and import our documents in the wiki, giving them a particular banner
to show that they are official documents and access control to make
them Immutable.

What has stopped us going for this solution in the past has generally
been the need to separate clearly between official and non-official
documents - with the banners/tags that have recently been implemented,
we now have that.

Yeah, it wouldn't give us weighted searching, but we could maybe
implement that separately for pages tagged in a particular way.

I think if there were a decent solution for xml -> moin markup, and a
way to redirect urls from /community/PageName to /PageName (which I
assume there is) then that probably would be the best option.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org