request for review of Ubuntu 8.10 release announcement

Dylan McCall dylanmccall at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 03:21:08 UTC 2008

> "Since Ubuntu 8.04 LTS is a long-term support release, an automatic
> upgrade to 8.10 will not be offered. For instructions on upgrading to
> Ubuntu 8.10, see:"

It may just be me, but something about that sentence sounds almost
hostile to me. Like "you're using the dumb version so we aren't giving
you that easily!" with no real explanation why. Of course, those who
know what an LTS release is won't mind after pondering for a moment,
but he who is just skimming over it may choke on his tea and drag his
computer out the nearest window before actually figuring out what the
sentence means ;)

How about...

"Ubuntu 8.04 LTS is supported for a longer term than Ubuntu 8.10, so
it will not upgrade automatically. For instructions on upgrading to
Ubuntu 8.10, see..."

...or something to that effect, with the key being that reasons are
injected into the sentence to avoid any misinformation :)

Bye,
-Dylan McCall

PS: Sorry if this message is mangled. I broke Evolution again.