request for review of Ubuntu 8.10 release announcement

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at canonical.com
Wed Oct 29 20:20:26 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 08:50:56AM -0500, Dustin Kirkland wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 4:09 AM, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at canonical.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 01:36:20AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> >> Here is a draft for the Ubuntu 8.10 email announcement:

> >>   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IntrepidIbex/ReleaseAnnouncement

> >> Please review and advise me of any problems.

> I think this sentence reads funny, since the present subject is 8.10.

>     Because it is a long-term support release, users of Ubuntu 8.04 LTS will not
>     be offered an automatic upgrade to 8.10 via Update Manager.

> I think the following would read better:

>     Users of Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, as a long-term support release, will not
> be offered
>     an automatic upgrade to 8.10 via Update Manager.

Hmm, very odd... I also noticed this was a bit awkward, so had changed it
to:

  Because Ubuntu 8.04 LTS is a long-term support release, users of that
  release will not be offered an automatic upgrade to 8.10 via Update
  Manager.

... but the wiki says that I then reverted this change.

I've restored it now - do you think that text is adequate?