New Wiki page

Marc Kaplan mk at technomensch.net
Sun Oct 26 18:59:36 UTC 2008

Scott Kitterman wrote:
> I've got plenty to do being a core-dev already.   I don't have time to
> volunteer in yet another team.
>
> Ubuntu brown in the Kubuntu theme is completely unacceptable. The old theme
> didn't have it.  I think your attitude is dismissive and disrespectful of
> the Kubuntu community.
>
> Please do not destroy our look and feel.  I have refrained from just
> reverting the change because that isn't how things are supposed to work in
> Ubuntu.  Please, instead of continued self-justification that you used the
> right process, accept that your change, no matter how well intended, is
> problematic for Kubuntu and let's start to figure out how to fix it.
>
> Scott K
Scott,

Please understand that it was not, nor has been, my intention to cause
any issues regarding this.  My goal was to condense and streamline the
existing home page based on the content that already existed.  To that
end, I would like to address one thing before informing you how I will
proceed.  As I stated in my previous email, you claim that "The old
theme didn't have it."  That is 100% incorrect.

In the revision that I directed to, you can see that the color scheme
that I utilized was indeed visible prior to my changes:

https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Home?action=recall&rev=186

Here is a screen capture of the way the old version looked BEFORE I even touched it; in other words, the one you were asking me to, or considering reverting back to (note the theme AND URL):

http://technomensch.net/images/ubuntuwiki/kubuntuwiki.png

Rather than simply demanding that I revert to the previous version "immediately" or threaten to do it yourself, it might have been a good idea to actually look at the previous version first.  All I did was copy the code for the table of releases that had previously existed and put it in the new version while reducing the number of versions/releases that showed up.  I made no changes/additions to the existing color scheme.  I truly regret if you did not notice this on the original version prior to my changes.  I guess you may not have gone down to the bottom of that page to see it.

That is why I became defensive and was quite insulted by your opinion that I was "dismissive and direspectful of the Kubuntu community".  This could have been brought up at any time long before I even considered making any changes or touched the page.  If you should be insulted at anyone, it should be whomever put the Release Schedule on that page before I even got to work on it, not me.  However, that is water under the bridge and it is time to move forward instead of passing blame around.

If you review my previous emails, the very reason I asked you to send your email to the mailing list rather than me directly is so any fellow Kubuntu members of our Documentation Team could assist in coming up with a suggestion to resolve this in a peaceful and prompt manner.

To that end, I apologize if you feel you were offended by my responses and the work that has been done.  In order to appease the Kubuntu community, I have discussed your concerns with a fellow member of our team that uses Kubuntu exclusively and the Kubuntu Wiki Theme.  Based on her recommendations, I have modified the home page to look like this:

http://littlergirl.googlepages.com/KubuntuWikiSolutionMaybe.png

You can now see the result on http://wiki.kubuntu.org or http:/wiki.ubuntu.com

Please also know that I made the same changes to the table on wiki.ubuntu.com/Teams or in your case, wiki.kubuntu.org/Teams

On one final note, I think the way you handled this issue was quite immature and irresponsible.  This entire thread could have easily been prevented if you had both:

- reviewed the previous version before I touched it
and
- instead of complaining, coming up or proposing an alternate color scheme and presenting to the Documentation Team.  If you have wiki permissions to revert, you could have easily created a version that you could have proposed as a substitute instead.

While I will attempt to keep other themes in mind in my future endeavors, I hope you will keep these comments in mind before commenting on something you have an issue.

I sincerely hope that this brings a peaceful resolution to this issue.  If you have any additional concerns, unrelated to this, please address them to the Documentation Team via our mailing list, not to me individually.

Marc K.
Documentation Team