GUI for documentation, good or bad?

Marc Kaplan mk at technomensch.net
Mon Oct 20 11:27:09 UTC 2008

Matthew East wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 7:02 PM, shirish <shirishag75 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>  I had put up a bug sometime back
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad-foundations/+bug/112172 which I
>> would like to have discussions of the wider community.
>>

> Shirish, there is a bit of confusion about what it is you are
> suggesting. That bug is filed on Launchpad, and therefore it appears
> that you are suggesting that Launchpad should have a WYSIWYG editor
> (for example, in its bug comment box or Launchpad homepage. If that's
> your proposal, then you need to discuss it on the Launchpad mailing
> list. However, it's unlikely to be accepted, I think.
>
> By discussing the idea here, what you appear to be proposing is quite
> different: a WYSIWYG editor for the wiki. If so, I don't think this is
> a bad idea at all: the technology is available for the version of Moin
> we are using, and people can use it if they like (and, if they don't
> like it, they don't have to use it). I don't know why the option isn't
> available on our current installation and had already thought about
> asking the admins to activate it.
>
> Have I misinterpreted your email?

I would be curious to at least try a WYSIWYG editor for the wiki.  If
there is a plug-in available, or if the feature is available, then I
would definitely recommend throwing it on as I don't think it could hurt
any.  Like you said, if we like it and want to use it, we can, and if we
don't like it, we don't have to use it if we don't want to  I'm guessing
we'd be turning it on for both the Community Help and Team Wikis??

Marc Kaplan