[Updated] WikiGuide

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Fri Oct 17 07:24:41 UTC 2008

Hi Marc,

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 4:10 AM, Marc Kaplan <mk at technomensch.net> wrote:
> Alright, after the last two days, here is what I've done and I think this
> makes sense for all of us as a great compromise:
>
> I moved the "Integrate, Don't Duplicate" that littlegirl mentioned from my
> "Draft" Page to [[/PageCreation]] and then cleaned it up.  I also added, as
> an additional reference, a link to HelpOnPageCreation.  You can see the
> finished product here:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WikiGuide/PageCreation

This looks pretty good to me. Thanks.

> I moved the text from "Delete and Rename" on /PageCreation into the article
> [[DeletingAndRenaming]]  I did so because I did not think it was
> appropriate, or necessary, to even mention deleting pages while taking about
> creating them.  After doing so, I now think the DeletingandRenaming page
> actually reads better than it did previously.
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WikiGuide/DeletingAndRenaming

Yes, that makes sense as well.

> Regarding the WikiGuide itself, I realized that there was NO link to the
> IconsPage, so I added one.

This is already linked on the /Formatting page: probably that is enough?

> As for our discussion on how to present the formatting wiki markup code, I
> think I came up with a compromise that we can all agree on.  I ended up
> leaving the link to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WikiGuide/Formatting.
>  Then, on [[/Formatting]], I used the "Include" feature of the wiki to
> "Include" the artilce [[HelpOnEditing
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HelpOnEditing?action=fullsearch&context=180&value=linkto%3A%22HelpOnEditing%22>]]
> as I thought that was the most thorough and more organized of the two
> articles in question.

Personally, I still think the /Formatting page should be simpler so
that it contains all the markup a user needs to get started, but then
provides advanced reference to the Moin documentation if someone is
interested in finding out about advanced things like tables, macros
etc.

With the Include, the /Formatting page is a lot longer and it looks as
though the reader has to read all of those pages, which I think is
pretty scary.

I do sympathise with your wish to include as much useful information
as possible, but I also think that we need to recognise that not
everyone will want to become a wiki magician immediately, and will
just want to learn the tools that are enough to help them contribute.

> I would finally like to recommend that we have something similar to the
> menus we are using on the TeamWiki on top of the following pages to show
> that they are all related:
> [[WikiGuide]], [[DeletingandRenaming]], [[/PageCreation]], [[Tag]],
> [[WritingGuide]]

This sounds like a very good idea. Probably we should also include
/Formatting and /Communication in that too. Are you interested in
working on it?

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org