[Updated] WikiGuide

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 16 07:33:05 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 2:30 AM, Marc Kaplan <mk at technomensch.net> wrote:
> And just put those links (and 'maybe' some of the text) on the Guide Page as
> our *official* go-to guide.  That way, if someone wants to edit, they just
> come here and there are links for whatever they need without having to jump
> through hoops or click all over the place.  In other words, it might look
> something like this:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WikiGuide/Draft

What concerns me with this version is that while before all the user
had to read to get up to speed on enough basic wiki markup to start
contributing was the WikiGuide/Formatting page, now there are 6 links,
three of which cover subjects which are already covered in
WikiGuide/Formatting (HelpOnFormatting, HelpOnLists, and
HelpOnHeadlines).

Yes, your version of the page contains more information, and more of
the Moin documentation, but that wasn't the point of WikiGuide, the
point was to give the user enough basic information about the wiki
markup to start contributing, and introduce them to our policies in
relation to style and page organisation. The more links it has, the
scarier it looks, and the less likely a new contributor is to read it.

That's why the approach I'd like to take is to try to keep things as
simple as possible. Do you think that the page as it is now is
difficult for a contributor to understand?

> BTW- what were your thoughts about submitting the documentation confusion to
> the MoinMoin bug tracking?

Yes, I think the Moin developers would be perfectly happy to consider
any input you have on the organisation of the internal documentation.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org