RIP Mentoring Programme

Belinda Lopez belinda.lopez at canonical.com
Wed Nov 26 19:18:08 UTC 2008

The training team is now holding weekly sessions for anyone who wants to
learn more about the process of contributing to our materials.
Currently it is the same process as the Doc Team (LP/BZR, docbook
editing, etc.) but after this cycle we are considering moving away to a
more end user friendly system.  New users simply do not understand the
current process and unfortunately mentoring is not scalable as the
project grows.  Even using IRC as a teaching/mentoring medium have not
produced the best results b/c new folks cannot "see" what the leader's
screen is showing and if they are trying to follow the steps in a
session and they get different results than the leader, there is much
confusion.

Weekly sessions are now being held in #ubuntu-training, 20:00 UTC.

Also, several community members, emmajane and popey have now updated the
instructions as well as created several screencasts that might help new
users better understand the whole process of working with the toolsets.
Those are available at:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Training/KnowledgeBase

There was also some discussion among the Classroom project to start some
sessions for new contributors as well.  It might be worth pinging that
team to see if there is any interest in working with them.

Belinda

--
PK