wiki spam

Dougie Richardson ddrichardson at btinternet.com
Thu May 15 08:20:20 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 09:53 +0200, Przemysław Kulczycki wrote:
> Matthew East pisze:
> > On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 9:23 PM, Richard A. Johnson
> > <nixternal at kubuntu.org> wrote:
> >> On Sunday 09 March 2008, Przemysław Kulczycki wrote:
> >>  | Hi guys.
> >>  | The Ubuntu wiki is getting more spam lately.
> >>  | See the recent changes page and look for massive page attachment
> >>  | addings. All the attachements are the same - files with text and links
> >>  | to porn sites. All are uploaded by the same user: Gera76ru.
> >
> > {snip}
> >
> >>  I just notified the sys admins on IRC about it. Thanks for the heads up!  Looks
> >>  like I may need to go back to watching the wiki pages again, which I really
> >>  don't want to do, but seeing as our wiki is so freakin' outdated, it just might
> >>  have to be done.
> >
> > While there may be something that can be done in our moin installation
> > about this, I wouldn't count on it - another way to help is to report
> > the nicknames to the Launchpad admins on #launchpad or via
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/launchpad and ask for the accounts to be
> > deactivated.
>
> The spam bots are back, even though their accounts were deleted some
> time ago. And there are more of them (users and spam pages).
> See https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/launchpad/+question/26722

I reported this to the website team a couple of weeks ago in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-doc/+bug/224971 and have mailed
launchpad to ask for the account in launchpad to be deleted.

This is still part of 302 attack that is not being addressed - there is
no point in deleting the pages in the wiki as long as the user name
exists in launchpad.

The thing is that having looked through some of the spam, its malicious
(not to Ubuntu) and being returned higher in Google than most of our
genuine pages.

Cheers,
--
Dougie Richardson (http://lynxworks.eu)

"Well, then, " the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry,
and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and
wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."