Proposal: Create product for each derivative's documentation

Matthew Paul Thomas mpt at myrealbox.com
Sun Mar 23 10:46:12 UTC 2008

Matthew East wrote on 22/03/08 10:06:
> On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 1:02 PM, Cody A.W. Somerville
>> Currently there is only the ubuntu-documentation product/project on
>> launchpad which has the ubuntu documentation and its derivatives'
>> bazaar branch associated with it. However, I'd like to propose that
>> we create a product for each derivative's documentation since a the
>> current model does not scale well attempting to have multiple
>> products inside one product.
> I've been thinking about this for a while. I'm pretty concerned with
> the idea about creating too much divergence between the various
> *buntu-docs projects.

An alternative model would be to have separate *branches* of the same
ubuntu-doc project for each derivative. Then each derivative can diverge
on the things it makes sense to diverge on (e.g. the front page), while
merging from each other on changes to things that they share.

So there would be ubuntu-hardy, ubuntu-intrepid, kubuntu-hardy,
kubuntu-intrepid, xubuntu-hardy, xubuntu-intrepid etc branches. The
ubuntu-intrepid branch might merge typo fixes that were made to the
ubuntu-hardy branch, and also merge information about Suspend and
Hibernate that was added to the kubuntu-intrepid branch, while not
merging Kubuntu-specific information.

This might be far too much work now, but it's something to consider if
the number of derivatives with active documentation teams increases.

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/