UbuntuForums wiki pages

Connor Imes rocket2dmn at aol.com
Tue Jun 10 06:40:49 UTC 2008

Matthew East wrote:
> Hi Connor,
>
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 12:01 AM, Connor Imes <rocket2dmn at aol.com> wrote:
>> On the topic of teams, the Ubuntu Forums Beginners Team has their wiki
>> area at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Beginners (primarily under /Team)
>> This clearly conflicts with separation of Help and Wiki.  Though I did
>> not establish this area on the Help wiki (its existence predates my
>> involvement with that team), I have been its maintainer for a few months
>> now and have done extensive work on it.  Since it is rather well
>> established there, I propose leaving it, unless you feel strongly
>> otherwise.  I just thought I should run that past you.
>
> I think that ideally the material under the "Team" subpage should also
> be on wiki.ubuntu.com. If you are concerned that moving it would lead
> to links breaking, there is a solution - you can use a redirect on the
> old team page to point at the new page. Are there other reasons that
> you could be uncomfortable with moving it?
>
> The Beginners' team isn't the only team that has their wikipages on
> the help wiki, the same is true of the Wiki Team -
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WikiTeam. We have talked in the past
> about moving those pages, but we haven't yet got around to it. I will
> try and get to that in the next few days.

My primary concern is that pages outside of the wiki have it, like on
the forums, as well as people's bookmarks.  I know a redirect can take
care of that, it's just a bit of a hassle.  It would also require us to
go through and fix a lot of little things like links.  Right now I would
rather focus efforts on getting the actual documentation pages up to
speed rather than moving perfectly usable and fairly often used pages
between the wikis.  I agree though, these pages are in the wrong place.
 I will move them at a later time if it's not a thorn in anybody's side
at the moment.
Thanks,
-Connor