Expanding the documentation

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Sat Jun 7 20:55:53 UTC 2008

Hiya,

Taking back on-list (I think you removed the list by mistake).

On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 9:46 PM, Nick Ellery <ellery.nick at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for taking a look at this.  I understand what you said, and my only
> concern is the Installation Guide.  It seems it was a misunderstanding on my
> part.  Although there is a community page for installing Ubuntu, I think
> that the topic is important enough for an official page to exist in the
> documentation.  If not, linking to it should be sufficient.

I think we should definitely find a way for the "official" docs to
interact better with the wiki docs. Maybe we can move forward in this
release cycle with the idea of merging the two, and have a single site
which explains to users how reliable each page is.

> I'm also interested in starting out the Troubleshooting Guide, and have some
> ideas that hopefully aren't too technical.

Great, look forward to seeing your contributions. One thing I would
say is that I don't think troubleshooting information should be in a
separate "guide", but rather should appear in the relevant section of
the documentation that deals with the relevant subject matter. For
example, troubleshooting package installation problems should be in
the "Adding and Removing Software" section, internet connectivity
problems in the "Internet" section, and so on.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org