Title case

Allan Day allanpday at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 10:26:34 UTC 2008

Hello all,

I have a slightly anal question for you all! Is there any policy on what
method of capitalisation should be used for titles (and subtitles) in
the wiki?

Now, I'm not saying that we should get overly anal here. I don't want to
go overboard when it comes to formatting rules. Contributing should be
fun, right?! At the same time, it does look better for individual pages
to be consistent in terms of their use of capitalisation. Further, in
cases where there are pages with multiple different title case styles
being used (like the community front page for instance! [1]), a policy
on what style is best would be useful to editors.

Wikipedia has some good advice on different title case styles [2]. My
favourite is would be to use sentence style titles. Here, 'only the
first word and proper nouns are capitalized'. For example: 'Switching
from another operating system'. Why? I think it looks good. Plus, it's
simple to do - you don't need to remember or understand special
grammatical rules about articles, prepositions, conjunctions, etc.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this? Is there something in the
WikiGuide that I've missed?

Allan

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UserDocumentation
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalization#How_to_capitalize