Regarding a Ubuntu-blueprint and LoCo-teams

Phil Bull philbull at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 12:56:01 UTC 2008

Hi Mads,

On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 12:41 +0100, Mads Peter Rommedahl wrote:
> On the Danish LoCo mailing list, we've recently been discussing this
> blueprint [1]. IMHO implementing it will greatly contribute to the
> usability of users who don't speak English very well.
>
> This may not have been something regarding Ubuntu-doc if not for the
> proposal about "System documentation is in English. Everything is in
> English". It got me wondering: Why IS the system documentation still
> in English? True, it's constantly updated and changed, but even
> W****** has localized help documentation, and that has proved greatly
> helpful to both me and many people I know back in the days.
>
> Is there any specific reason as to why we still have only English
> system documentation? Because the way I see it, translating it would
> be pretty straightforward - but maybe I am missing something?
> [1]:
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/identifying-users-and-local-groups

I'm hazy on the details of the translation process for the docs, but we
generate .pot files and have directories for different locales in the
release branches, so I would have expected that the documentation was
translated. Are there any translation templates for the ubuntu-docs
package on LP?

I think many of the issues mentioned in the spec you linked to could be
addressed if we implemented the "external-links-redirects" spec. Each
locale could redirect to a different page.

Thanks,

Phil

[1] -
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/external-links-redirects