Ubuntu Server Guide - Security Section

Gilbert Mendoza gmendoza at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 17:44:25 UTC 2008

Hello, Adam.  Thank you for the response.

> Sounds like a good idea to me.  The AppArmor section is new and before the
> Security section only covered firewalls, so I think it would be great to
> update the sections introduction.

Yup... I initially started writing about how firewalls should be under it's
own section until I realized the "server" content was newer than
"serverguide".  Is the latter going away?

> ... A firewall configuration tool is currently
> being developed to make common iptables configurations easier [1].  The plan
> is to include instructions on it's use in the Firewall section.

Now that's great news.  Can't wait to see the finished product.

> I think the other areas you've mentioned will be a great addition to the
> guide, so please feel free to submit patches to the list.  It looks like
> this will be a large amount of new content.  Recently it has been proposed
> to shorten the String Freeze schedule to allow for more QA time [2].  I'm
> not sure how much time it will take to document your proposals, but even if
> all of them don't make it into the Hardy release they would certainly be
> good for later releases.

I'll do my best.  Thanks again.

Gilbert Mendoza
PGP: 0x075DBCA9