error in docu basic commands

Bruno Patri bruno.patri at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 08:27:31 UTC 2008

Le dimanche 06 janvier 2008, Maren Reinecke a écrit :
> Hallo!
>
> I´m translating the basic commands in launchpad - rosetta into german
> and found an error. This is the link to the german translation, but I
> think you will recognize the source:
> https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/gutsy/+source/ubuntu-docs/+pots/b
>asic-commands/de/+translate?start=30
>
> I couldn´t understand the second sentence and therefore asked a friend
> of mine, who explained to me, what I had tried in the Terminal was
> correct. You can´t remove empty directories (unless you use the option
> -r)
> Here the sentence:
>
> 35.
> English: Copy text
> Use the <command>rm</command> command to remove or delete a file in your
> directory. It will not work on directories which have files in them.

Hi,

By default *rm* couldn't remove directories (empty or not). You have to
specify the -r option (recursive) for that. See the rm man page.

To be correct the sentence should be :

 Use the <command>rm</command> command to remove or delete a file in your
 directory. By default, it will not work on directories.

The command to remove empty directories is *rmdir*, this command will not work
on directories wich have files in them.

--
Bruno