[wiki-proposal] Edit in UserDocumentation - remove RestrictedFormats

Phil Bull philbull at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 19:56:52 UTC 2008

Hi Mads,

On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 18:50 +0100, Mads Peter Rommedahl wrote:
> Hi, I was about to edit UserDocumentation [1] when I noticed that
> changes should be discussed here - seems like I've been spending too
> much time on Wikipedia :-)
>
> Anyway, what I was about to do was to remove "Multimedia
> Support" (directing to RestrictedFormats[2]) from the section "Music,
> Video and Photos". The reason for this is that the link "Multimedia",
> placed right below "Multimedia Support", links to a page[3] which, as
> its first link, links back the RestrictedFormats page. This has two
> problems I think:
>
> I) First of all structure-wise it's a little dumb.. Why link to the
> page both places? It would seem that, from the main page
> UserDocumentation, that "Multimedia" and "Multimedia Support" should
> lead in two different directions, but instead you may end up getting
> thrown across the wiki between two topic that are basically about the
> same thing.
> II) If a new user has some kind of question relating to Multimedia,
> would he/she then pick "Multimedia" or "Multimedia Support" to look
> in? I think most users would be confused.
>
> IMHO, the "Multimedia Support" (aka. RestrictedFormats) should be
> removed from the UserDocumentation page, and instead maybe be in bold
> on the Multimedia page. That should make it a one-way street.

That seems sensible. The logic behind putting a link to
RestrictedDrivers on the front page was probably that many users had
problems with restricted drivers, so it was worth advertising that
documentation a little more.

More recent versions of Ubuntu handle restricted drivers better though,
so perhaps it's time that the link was removed from the front page as
you suggest (unless anyone else has an objection?).

Also, could you put a link to the official documentation on restricted
drivers at the top of the RestrictedDrivers page, please? Perhaps
something similar in style to this [1]?

Thanks,

Phil

[1] - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwitchingToUbuntu/FromWindows