Xubuntu documentation ideas

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Thu Jan 3 14:06:30 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Dec 22, 2007 7:52 AM, George Lesica <glesica at gmail.com> wrote:
> if we can't get the license issues resolved (maybe jim or cody can ask
> the xfce people about dual-licensing? thoughts?) then maybe we can
> just identify key sections and rewrite those as needed? i hate license
> crap :-(

The way that these issues are resolved in Ubuntu is to integrate the
Gnome documents alongside the Ubuntu documents but preserving them as
separate documents. It's perfectly permissible to include documents
with different licenses in the help system as long as the documents
remain separate. Is there any scope for doing that in Xubuntu?

Other issues to consider when thinking about using upstream documents
are how you are going to keep them up to date when they are improved
or translated upstream - with Gnome what we do is maintain a Gnome bzr
branch for our version of the documents -
https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-doc/gnome-user-docs/ubuntu-hardy
- in which we merge all of the upstream changes (see for example
revision 712).

P.S. Please make an effort to preserve proper quoting in your posts to
the list. It makes conversations much easier to follow and you will
save people scrolling time and space by trimming the emails you quote
so that they only include the relevant passage.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org