Wiki cleanup information

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Thu Jan 3 12:16:29 UTC 2008

On Jan 3, 2008 11:59 AM, Phil Bull <philbull at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 17:08 +0000, Matthew East wrote:
> > It's an excellent idea, thanks for taking the initiative on that. My
> > initial reaction is that it's probably better to house this page on
> > the help wiki at the WikiTeam page, linking to it from the WikiGuide
> > page and from the appropriate places in the DocumentationTeam pages on
> > the main wiki.
>
> Thanks. I agree that it would be better hosted under the WikiTeam pages,
> but why are those pages hosted on the Help wiki rather than the Team
> wiki? The latter seems more appropriate to me.

I guess the reason is because that team is wholly dedicated to the
Help wiki. But I think you are probably right - it makes more sense to
have the WikiTeam's details on the main wiki along with all the other
teams.

> As an aside, the Beginner's team wiki pages are also hosted on the Help
> wiki, along with about 50 user pages [1]. These should all be moved to
> the Team wiki, IMHO.

The Beginner's team pages should certainly be moved.

User pages are useful on the help wiki because MoinMoin linkifies
those people's names (for example in the "last edited by" section at
the bottom of pages) where they have a user page available. The
problem is that the Ubuntu community has multiple wikis (not to
mention the Launchpad wikis and Canonical specific wikis) and the user
base is not integrated between them. This has led to people setting up
a user page on more than one wiki.

Ideally, Moin would be tweaked so that usernames would link to the
user's Launchpad page. I'm not too sure about the state of Moin <->
Launchpad integration at the moment, so I'm cc:ing Andrew Bennetts and
Matthew Nuzum for any comments.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org