Server Guide available in Help

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Wed Feb 20 08:14:02 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Feb 20, 2008 4:24 AM, Adam Sommer <asommer70 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> We've recently moved the development of the Server Guide from one directory
> to another.  On the face of it this seems like a very small change, and well
> it pretty much is.  One of the options this opens up however, is to only
> build the HTML version of the guide available in the ubuntu-serverguide
> package.  This would eliminate having to copy the content and having it
> available in Help > Advanced Topics > Installing Server Applications.  It
> will also simplify development of the guide hopefully eliminating some of
> the confusion about which directory should new contributors submit changes
> to.

I raised this idea so wanted to clarify something. I actually didn't
wish to suggest that the serverguide not be included in the desktop
help center, I think it's quite useful there.

However, currently a slightly revised version of the serverguide is
what is included in the help center: we have two directories in the
tree - "serverguide" and "server". The latter is the document included
in the help center, and it is basically the same as the former, except
a couple of sections are removed (such as the package management
section). The justification for this historically was that the help
center already contains a section dealing with package management, so
such a section is not helpful in the help center version of the guide.

But doing this means that we need to maintain two separate versions of
the same document, which are currently synched manually. It is also a
pain with translations because we need to generate separate
translations for each document. My suggestion was simply to abandon
the "server" document, and include the whole "serverguide" document in
the help center, without worrying about which sections might not be
relevant to the desktop user, on the basis that this is simply easier
to maintain and cleaner from our point of view.

Hope this is clear and look forward to hearing what you think.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org