i need help

Robert McWilliam rmcw at allmail.net
Fri Aug 22 07:29:24 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 03:06:53PM -0700, bintao wu wrote:
> I'm just install ubuntu-8-i386 to my computer, step by step fallow
> introduction, finish instill than reboot.
> screen show:    booting form local disk.....
>                         GRUB LOADING STAGE1.5.
>

>                        GRUB LOADING , PLEASE WAIT...........
>                        ERROR 18
>
> I don't know is my hardware problem (memory test can not pass) or my hard
> drive fist partition is windows vista(use second partition install ubuntu)

The documentation list is for discussion of making the documentation
rather than support questions. The support options are listed here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/support
and the mailing list most suited for this type of question is users:

To try and help before sending you off: grub's error 18 means that the
kernel it is trying to boot from is beyond the area of the hard disk
that the BIOS can access. This is most easilly solved by adding a
small /boot partition within the area that your BIOS supports (the
kernel will be able to access the rest of the drive once it's loaded
so everything else can stay where it is). There's a better explanation
of error 18 here:
http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/GRUB#Error_18

	Robert