Standard Wiki phrase for editing config files

Ben Rousch brousch at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 19:02:22 UTC 2008

In https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WikiGuide/Style it is recommended
that when writing HowTo articles you not use specific install commands
like "apt-get", but instead should use the generic "Install package X
from the Y repository". Is there a similar suggested phrase for
editing config or other text files? I always use "sudo nano -w" but I
know that many others use "gksudo gedit" or "sudo vi". It would be
nice to have a standard phrase for this common situation.

If such a standard phrase does not yet exist, may I suggest adding the
following instruction to the Style guide:

Editing text files - when documenting how to edit a config or text
file, try to avoid recommending a particular editor (such as nano or
vi) - instead, simply use the phrase "Edit the file /example/file". If
appropriate, include a link to the page which documents the various
text editors, PowerUsersTextEditor.