help wiki theme improvements

Phil Bull philbull at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 10:23:47 UTC 2008

Hi Matt,

On Sun, 2008-08-17 at 22:13 +0100, Matthew East wrote:
> Well, the idea isn't to create talk pages for every wiki page. It
> would just be to create a link, which when clicked on for the first
> time would permit the user to create a page in the usual way. Unless
> we have an objection in general to using talk pages on the help wiki
> (I don't have one in principle) then I don't think there should be a
> problem with adding the link. Or do you think it would be better to
> avoid talk pages completely? If so, do you have any other feedback
> mechanisms  in mind?

The issue isn't the talk pages themselves, it's the fact that they'd
appear in the search results. Presumably the talk pages are intended to
allow feedback rather than to carry help information. I assume most
users are looking for the latter when they visit the wiki, so including
talk pages in the search results would obstruct their search (lots of
irrelevant/unhelpful results).

I'm not saying that we shouldn't use talk pages, but I am saying that we
should make sure that they don't get in the way of "regular users".

> > The guys over at the Italian wiki have already taken care of this [1]
> > (courtesy Leo Iannacone).
>
> Yes, we could adapt that. Or use a theme like the start.ubuntu.com one
> I was working on recently. Either way, I think we need a common theme
> for all parts of help.ubuntu.com.

It would be great to see this ready in time for the Intrepid release.
What are our chances, and how might mentoring students be able to help?

Thanks,

Phil

--
Phil Bull