Mentoring Program

Dougie Richardson ddrichardson at btinternet.com
Sun Aug 17 11:07:48 UTC 2008

Hi,

> While it is true that some teams might "grow apart," this is not
> necessarily a bad thing.  We all still fall under the Documentation
> Team, but trying to keep everything so tightly coordinated makes it
> impossible for the leads to stay on top of everything, and the lack of
> hierarchal system means members don't necessarily know where to go to
> get help or direct their questions or coordination efforts.  A group
> leader can act as a middleman between the Doc team leaders and a focus
> group, and team members can certainly take part in multiple groups.

A have to disagree here, growing apart is a problem in the context of how we
work and what we produce. If this was a software project then forking would
have value but not in the documentation team.

I can see value in team leaders but I am really against fragmenting the
team.

> As has been noticed before, people are generally _not_ getting the
> keep things like the mailing list, IRC channel, Doc team leads + LP
> organization.

In fairness, most students don't seem to sure on where they want to
contribute either.

> I think that's what focus team/groups can help with.  Choosing an area
> to begin with helps a new team member focus their efforts somewhere,
> and
> during this time can be introduced to other areas they might be
> interested in.  A big problem is that there is so much that the doc
> team
> covers, it is overwhelming and I certainly found it difficult in the
> beginning to find the help pages I was looking for.  With focus
> groups/teams a new member can have a more specific place to start
> instead of having to take in the whole picture - this can help keep
> them
> from getting overwhelmed and just walking away.  New members should
> "start small".

This is exactly why I've been promoting a standardised introductory package.

Cheers,

Dougie