ubuntu-doc Digest, Vol 47, Issue 13

Charles Davis charles.davis at ubuntu.com
Thu Aug 14 18:12:21 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 17:20 +0100, Dougie Richardson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Excellent idea. I'm one of those that applied to help but haven't
> > really done
> > anything. It seems to me that the veteran contributors are so far ahead
> > in
> > their knowledge of the structure of the documentation and the writing
> > that
> > they're involved in that it may be difficult to induct some of us who
> > just
> > probably need more than a little push in a particular direction to get
> > off the
> > ground.
>
> That's more how I see the Mentoring system anyway, you have something you
> want to work on and then your mentor assists you when you become stuck. In
> your case, you don't appear to be a current member of the launchpad team
> either.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dougie

Being a current student I will say that the initial startup in
Documentors is a little tough, especially when other commitments and
workload make them unavailable. I have been lucky in that a mentor
became available shortly after I signed up for the list and started
pushing patches.

Although its a tough way to start, I suggest reading the wiki pages and
downloading the development branch of the docs. Look for a bug and fix
it to standard.

As a student the best way to get a mentor is to show that you are
serious and willing to be a self starter. Work within the system and you
will probably find a mentor faster than you think. You might also get
"smacked" in an instructional manner of course :)...

Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary
--
Chuck
charles.davis at ubuntu.com
OpenPGP Key ID:1024D/19B4CF71
Fingerprint: 0D29 4D49 AE37 48A6 2EC8 0746 11DA EF8B 19B4 CF71