ubuntu-doc Digest, Vol 47, Issue 13

Andrew Mathenge mathenge at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 21:49:18 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 4:53 PM, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> On Aug 12, 2008, at 12:35 PM, Marc Kaplan wrote:
>> Something that I've noticed is that a lot of people want to help, but
>> are not sure how.  I think this was attempted to be fixed with the
>> Mentor/Mentee program, but has since fallen slightly off track.  I only
>> think this because I signed up as a Mentee myself, but have kind of
>> going off in my own direction.
>
> I see many people who ask to be mentored, and Phil Bull and others do a
> good job of replying, but it seems like few of the volunteers then
> follow up. Has anyone measured this?

I think Phil Bull does an excellent job welcoming potential new help.

> Maybe one thing that could lessen the fall-off rate is writing up
> detailed instructions on contributing in a particular way, and
> including it as a template in the reply.

Excellent idea. I'm one of those that applied to help but haven't really done
anything. It seems to me that the veteran contributors are so far ahead in
their knowledge of the structure of the documentation and the writing that
they're involved in that it may be difficult to induct some of us who just
probably need more than a little push in a particular direction to get off the
ground.