[RFC] Test drive: Ubuntu Documentation Search

Dustin Kirkland kirkland at canonical.com
Tue Apr 22 20:50:28 UTC 2008

Hi,

I recently created a Google Custom Search Engine [1] that specializes in
finding Ubuntu Documentation:

        * http://people.ubuntu.com/~kirkland/search.html

It searches the entire web for your input query, but gives special
priority to the ~15 or so Ubuntu-related websites that I've defined.

If your query returns hits, you can then refine your search to only
include results from Manuals, Official Docs, Wiki Docs, Answers, Forums,
Lists, Bugs, or Code.

There's even a browser plug-in to add to your Search Engine bar in
Firefox.

You can find more detailed information about the design in the wiki [2].

The source code is available in Launchpad [3].

I hope this is useful to Ubuntu users and developers alike.  I'm
interested in any comments or feedback you might have.

[1] http://www.google.com/coop/cse
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationSearch
[3] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-documentation-search

Thanks,