Techreview report of applications.xml

Vignesh vigneshacitizenofindia at yahoo.co.in
Sun Apr 20 12:21:22 UTC 2008

Hi...

Techreview report of applications.xml:

* Under "Installing applications", This introductory paragraph can be added. "There are two ways of installing applications in ubuntu. One is by using the Terminal command line interface and another one is by using either Add/Remove or Synaptic Package Manager GUI applications. This section deals about how to install applications using the Add/Remove GUI Tool. To install applications using the command line interface, see [link to the section 'apt' under add-applications]. To install applications using the Synaptic package manager, see [link to the section 'synaptic' under add-applications]."

* Under "Installing applications", "The advantage to using these methods are that you will be automatically notified of updates" should be changed to "The advantage of using these methods is that you will be automatically notified of updates".

* Under "Ubuntu equivalents to Windows programs", the list is way too short.
 The following applications which are the basic needs should also be in that list,
 1) Winzip, Winrar -> File Roller, Ark (I'm not sure whether Ark can be here in this list since it belongs to KDE, File Roller can be there)
 2) Notepad, Wordpad -> GEdit
 3) Adobe Reader -> Pdf Viewer
 4) MS-Paint -> Openoffice.Org Draw, Tuxpaint (Again i'm not sure if Tuxpaint can be here in this list since it is not preloaded in Ubuntu)
 5) iTunes -> Rhythmbox Music Player (For iPod Synchronisation)
 It cannot communicate with Skype, which uses proprietary technology.
* Under "Ubuntu equivalents to Windows programs", a sentence which descibes Ekiga says, "It cannot communicate with Skype, which uses proprietary technology". This might make beginners to come to a conclusion that it is not possible to communicate to Skype users from ubuntu, which is infact possible. So, i think the specified sentence should be replaced with, "Skype is also available under ubuntu platform but has to be installed explicitly."

* I think "WINE" deserves to be described under the section "Ubuntu equivalents to Windows programs" as follows, "In case you are not convinced with any of the above mentioned software or in case you are too close to Windows, there is an application called WINE, which enables Windows executables to run under linux. With WINE, you can install any Windows application you wish, if it is compatible. WINE has to be installed explicitly in ubuntu.".
I say WINE should be here because, though its against free software principles, this description is just for users who are too close to Windows, but still want to use ubuntu.

Awaiting your comments..
  Regards

Vignesh....

I'm a free man... I use free software....