Network troubleshooting

Dougie Richardson ddrichardson at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 15 21:29:40 UTC 2008

Hi Steven and Phil,

The Network & Internet section is still subscribed to me as a bug and now
that I am back I'd be happy to carry on improving this area.

We have had a lot of positive feedback on this and I feel Steven you are
being overly negative. This section was never intended to be a 100% guide to
the troublesome area of wireless internet access - an area that is still
heavily plagued by driver incompatibility.

I appreciate Steven's suggestions and will integrate them where possible, in
fact I'd be happy to mentor Steven.

The biggest problem this section has is that I sat out the last release and
there have been a number of changes to the menu structures.

I don't agree to that we should use "Network & Internet". This is how it was
arranged previously.

Your second recommendation is a good one, in respect to expanding the
expected output of lspci etc.

The guide was designed to continue to the next step if the previous fails,
as is explained at the start - hence there's no need to expand into further
series of steps. Bare in mind that this is designed to cover the basics of
troubleshooting, the most common problems are the ones listed. Again I'm
sure this could be improved.

Cheers,

Dougie Richardson