Keyboard key terminology

Jordan Mantha mantha at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 9 23:37:22 UTC 2008

Nick E. wrote:
> I believe that the term used should be* Enter*.  *Return* is very outdated,
> and only the oldest keyboards that have *Enter* keys extended to where the *
> backslash* key is, with those tiny *backspace* keys use them.  The term
> Enter is much more easy to understand.

I did a quick survey of my lab and I came up with 4 "Enter"s and 3
"Return"s. All of these were newish keyboards. The significant trend is
that all the Apple keyboards used "Return" and all the PC keyboards used
"Enter". Also note that *all* keyboards (even laptops) had the word on them.

I would think we could do a "Return or Enter" in a few key places but I
sticking close to upstream is a good idea.

-Jordan