Keyboard key terminology

Milo Casagrande milo_casagrande at yahoo.it
Wed Apr 9 21:36:31 UTC 2008

Hi all,

Il giorno mer, 09/04/2008 alle 17.02 +0100, Phil Bull ha scritto:
> Hi guys,
>
> We have a bug [1] where the reporter recommends that we refer to the
> Return/Enter key as "Enter" instead of "Return". It seems that we
> currently refer to that key by both names in the documentation; I think
> that it would be a good idea to standardise on one and put a note in the
> style guide about it. The question is, which variant should we use?
>
> It's worth noting that the GNOME Style Guide [2] recommends using
> "Return". I also ran the following commands on the ubuntu-intrepid
> branch:
>
> The reporter of the bug and another commenter feel that "Enter" is the
> more commonly-used term, however. Does anyone have a strong preference
> either way?

The gnome-doc team is running a Word-a-day thread on the mailing list
where they discuss modification on common terminology, maybe we should
ask them to discuss about this too or at least ask what do they think.

If I was to choose, I would follow the GNOME style guide, we should keep
the delta between downstream and upstream at minimun (as long as it's
possible).

My 0.02.

Cheers.

--