Draft: Gutsy beta release announcement

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Wed Sep 26 15:35:10 UTC 2007

On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 02:34:40AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Ubuntu 7.10 on the desktop features the cutting-edge Compiz compositing
> window manager (FIXME: and quantum-elastic dingledongers too, is this the
> right way to express Compiz to the audience?), fully automated printer
> installation, and superior support for Firefox browser plugins.

I think that's the right way to refer to it, but it would help to hint at
its benefits, e.g. "features a cutting-edge graphical experience based on
the Compiz..."

> Free Flash support with Gnash: This browser plugin and player brings free
> Flash support to the desktop, on both 32-bit and 64-bit systems.

Are we the first distribution to do this?

Gnash should be explicitly classified as a technology preview, since it's in
universe and not quite ready for prime time yet.

> Automated Firefox plugin installation: Beyond the addition of Gnash, Firefox
> in Ubuntu now supports automatic installation of popular plugins through the
> standard Ubuntu package repositories, for a richer web-browsing experience
> with all of the security support of the rest of the Ubuntu system.

I would be careful about saying "all of the security support" here, since
it's not open source.  It does at least make updates *possible*, though.

> Server highlights
>
> AppArmor: Servers will have an added layer of protection against unknown
> security vulnerabilities in applications, with this easy-to-deploy kernel
> technology that control the resources an application is allowed to use.

s/control/limits/

Otherwise looks good.

--
 - mdz