Jeremy: Mentoring Project

Phil Bull philbull at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 16:15:55 UTC 2007

Hi Jeremy,

On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 01:59 -0400, jeremy at hankenson.net wrote:
>   I am Jeremy, Currently interested in joining the Mentoring Program
> for
> the Ubuntu Documentation group. Little Bio about myself; I have been
> interested in Linux for about 4 years, installing distributions on and
> off. I finally decided to give Linux(Ubuntu) another try and now I
> have
> learned quite a bit. Also, Interested in Python programming, So I have
> bought a book and getting my mind bottled on Python programming.
>
> I figured that this mentoring program would get myself completely
> focused on Linux(Ubuntu) and finally be able to be productive using
> it.
> I hope to finally help the Ubuntu Community by writing documentation.

That's great, welcome to the programme! Do you have any ideas on what
you might be interested in writing about?

For example, I've been doing a bit of Python programming recently, but
found that there aren't many good resources out there for things like
libnotify. Would you be interested in writing a few guides on basic
programing in Python for Ubuntu? Python is very well supported in
Ubuntu, so I think that it would be useful to get some nice task-based
guides prepared. We already ship 'Dive into Python' which covers the
language itself, but I was thinking more along the lines of putting
articles such as 'Showing notification icons and bubbles' and 'Using GTK
TreeViews as lists' on the Help wiki [1].

Hopefully we could build up a small collection of articles which, when
used alongside Dive into Python and the PyGTK guide, would help a Python
novice create a small, useful GTK application for Ubuntu.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Phil

[1] - https://help.ubuntu.com/community