packaging guide html

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Sat Sep 1 09:27:01 UTC 2007

Hiya,

On 01/09/07, Anthony Yarusso <tonyyarusso at comcast.net> wrote:

> Matthew East wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Someone on #launchpad was looking for an "up to date" version of the
> > Packaging guide. We don't appear to have a version of the 7.04
> > release, the only ones available are the 6.10 version (on help.u.c)
> > and the 7.10 development version (on doc.u.c).
> >
> > So, should we have multiple versions of the packaging guide around, or
> > can we have a version-neutral version somewhere? If the former, where
> > should we put the 7.04 version and should it be recommended as the
> > "official" one to follow before the 7.10 version is released?
> >
> What about the version of the packaging-guide package in 7.04?

Have a look at the front page of help.ubuntu.com for 7.04. You'll see
that it is structured basically simply for user documentation. If we
put the packaging guide on help.ubuntu.com, we'll need to include a
link to it - currently help.ubuntu.com simply includes user
documentation for 7.04, and I think that is probably the direction
that I feel we should go in for future releases. The packaging guide
doesn't seem to belong in that structure, because it's developer
documentation.

I think probably it's more appropriate for the main wiki. However,
hosting it there would require us converting it to wiki format, and I
haven't got a feel for how easy that is - I will investigate.

> Regarding the actual question, it would probably be more confusing
> (IMO) to have something attempting to be version-neutral, and
> therefore being "a little bit wrong" for everything.  However, we
> should maintain documentation for all releases.

Again, the reason I ask is that I feel the packaging guide is
different to most user documentation, which you'd expect to be
developed on a release by release basis. You'd really expect it to be
kept up to date for whatever unstable version is being developed.
However, I don't have a feel for how "release independent" the actual
content of the packaging guide is, so that's why I've asked.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org