Got Gutsy DVDs?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sun Oct 28 19:50:10 UTC 2007

Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> I would be interested to know *why* you use it.  The cases you described
> (installing on many computers, and on computers not belonging to you)
> don't explain why the CD is unsuitable for you.
>
> I would be surprised if the DVD actually saves you bandwidth over the CD,
> given that the DVD essentially contains two copies of every default
> application (one in pre-installed form, and one in .deb form).

That doesn't seem so odd - I'm sure I downloaded at least a couple of
hundred MB more files after installing the CD the last time.  It would save
considerably if those extra files only needed to be downloaded once when
you were installing to _many_ computers, but I really don't see why he
can't have his own mirror.

I use apt-move to create a copy of all the packages needed for my own
machine - which takes no more space than /var/cache/apt/archives does if
you don't run "clean" on the archive.  Then when I update any other
machine, I use my own as the first repository in sources.list.
--
derek