xml to pdf - potential replacement technology?

Jordan Mantha mantha at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 10 16:52:58 UTC 2007

On 10/10/07, Matthew East <matt at mdke.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just read this: http://times.usefulinc.com/2007/10/10-prince
>
> Seems to be free as in beer, although not as in speech. Does anyone
> want to check this out?

That sounds very nice. I'm not sure how "free as in beer" it is
though. It is only free for individual, interactive use. I assume if
we each had a copy and ran it on our computers it would count, but we
couldn't put it on any servers or anything like that apparently.

> Could we consider a non-libre technology for producing pdfs, if it
> happened to be easier than our current (totally screwy) solutions?

I think definitely yes. The fact that we use Launchpad is already one
way we are doing this. I think it's worth it for us to get
good-quality PDFs even if it's not a FLOSS solution for now. I think
it's also more important that we have a solution that we can actually
use. If we have to go through all kinds of acrobatics to spit out a
pdf then nobody is going to want to do it.

-Jordan