vi or nano in tutorial?

George Lesica glesica at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 19:38:49 UTC 2007

well the basic point of a tutorial (which is what this is) is to have
a self-contained set of instructions for how to accomplish some
specific task. given this, i think it's better to sacrifice a little
bit of generality for simplicity and cohesion. telling someone to do
"sudo nano file.cfg" or whatever then telling them how to edit that
file, then to do ctrl-o and ctrl-x (or giving them instructions for
using some other editor, doesn't have to be nano) is better imo than
telling them to "open a text editor and edit file.cfg". more advanced
users will realize they can use whatever editor they normally use for
such tasks and will act accordingly. the goal should be to provide a
document that is useful to people of all skill levels and making the
document too general makes this a much more complicated goal.

-george