Call to current maintainer of the server guide

Bhuvaneswaran A bhuvan at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 7 03:35:01 UTC 2007

On Nov 7, 2007 1:10 AM, Jonathan Jesse <jjesse at iserv.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 November 2007 13:40:14 Matthew East wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 06/11/2007, Jonathan Jesse <jjesse at iserv.net> wrote:
> > > Let me explain my two thoughts on this:
> > >
> > > 1.  If you want to start contributing to the server guide how do you do
> > > you start?  Where do you find the server guide?  The goal is to ease
> > > contribution to the server guide instaed of having to checkout the entire
> > > ubuntu-hardy branch and just work on the serverguide-hardy branch
> >
> > Personally I think the advantages of having the material in the ubuntu
> > branch outweigh this - as per my last email it's very easy to find and
> > a lightweight checkout of the branch is very quick.
> >
> > > 2.  The server team wants to ship the serverguide as part of the build.
> > > Wouldn't it be easier to ship the serverguide and that is it, instead of
> > > having to ship the entire ubuntu-docs packavge?
> >
> > I don't think you've investigated properly how this is currently done
> > - the serverguide is already shipped in a separate package. It is in
> > the ubuntu-serverguide package which is totally separate from the
> > ubuntu-docs binary package (although the ubuntu-docs binary package
> > also uses the same sever material for the desktop help). Both packages
> > build out of the ubuntu-docs source package. As far as I know the
> > ubuntu-serverguide package is included in a standard ubuntu server
> > installation - if not then it is trivial to add it.
>

> I was under the impression the server guide was both not updated for the
> release and also not a part of the server release.  Can someone correct me if
> wrong on both things?

It is updated for every release. However, I don't think we conciously
test and update the document for every application. We do update the
document for couple of application as and when we find that it is
changed. We should change this approach. One of us should take the
responsibility to update the document for every application for every
release, if appropriate.

On the other hand, the list of applications we have covered have not
changed since it was introduced. We should also give a thought to it
and see if we can come up with document for few more applications. I
could not come up with the list right on top of my head, but I'm sure
we can improve in this area.
--
Regards,
Bhuvaneswaran A