Call to current maintainer of the server guide

Jonathan Jesse jjesse at iserv.net
Tue Nov 6 18:08:08 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 06 November 2007 03:10:50 Matthew East wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 06/11/2007, Jonathan Jesse <jjesse at iserv.net> wrote:
> > Who is the current maintainer of the server guide that is currently in
> > bzr? As discussed at UDS-Boston, I would like to move it from the current
> > location in ubuntu/generic/serverguide to serverguide-hardy to match what
> > is currently being used in kubuntu-hardy, ubuntu-hardy, etc.
>
> I'd like to hear more about the justification for this - the
> ubuntu-serverguide package currently builds nicely from the
> ubuntu-docs source package and we are using the material in the
> desktop documentation for ubuntu-docs as well. It's pretty helpful to
> have it in the same branch I think.
>
> If we start creating new branches for each generic document that might
> be used by other derivatives, things are going to get super confusing.
> Currently we are making a distinction between our branches for
> derivatives, and the serverguide is not (only) documentation for a
> specific derivative, it's documentation that is used in Ubuntu (and
> possibly xubuntu too?).
>
> > The goal of the discussion was this would ease the entry for those that
> > are willing to contribute wouldn't have to dig around through
> > ubuntu/generic/serverguide to contribute?
>
> To be honest, I don't think this is much of a barrier. It's pretty
> simply to state where to find the document at
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/Projects

Matt,

Let me explain my two thoughts on this:

1.  If you want to start contributing to the server guide how do you do you
start?  Where do you find the server guide?  The goal is to ease contribution
to the server guide instaed of having to checkout the entire ubuntu-hardy
branch and just work on the serverguide-hardy branch

2.  The server team wants to ship the serverguide as part of the build.
Wouldn't it be easier to ship the serverguide and that is it, instead of
having to ship the entire ubuntu-docs packavge?

I think both of these are good enough reasons to split off to a seperate
branch.  I don't think there are any more branches we need to worry about
splitting off.

Jonathan