[patch] mail.xml

Adam Sommer asommer70 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 04:16:23 UTC 2007

Hey all,

Here's an update to generic/server/C/mail.xml.  It's a pretty big
update to the Postfix, Exim4, and Mailman sections.  After, an IRC
conversation with lamont and ScottK (their IRC nics)  they thought it
was a good idea for the Postfix docs to use the chroot environment
setup by the package.  A common issue is, it's easier to diagnose
problems with Postfix when it's not in the chroot environment.  So I
included a section on removing Postfix and Cyrus SASL from chroot.

I've added a couple of subsections on configuring Exim4 with SMTP
AUTH, TLS and SASL, as per the TODO at the end of the section.  It
pretty much mirrors the Postfix config steps only with Exim4.  I also
created an Exim4 wiki page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Exim4
and updated the Postfix one:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Postfix.

For the Mailman section I updated some of the configuration sections
(namely Apache) and included a section on configuring Postfix with
Mailman.  Mostly because Postfix is the default MTA.

We had a great conversation on #ubuntu-doc today about the wikis and
the Server Guide.  During this I realized that my understanding of the
SRU process wasn't very complete.  somerville32 suggested that it's
acceptable to update the docs using the SRU process.  I'm not quite
sure if this qualifies, but if so please let me know and I'll be glad
file a bug and work through the process.

Also, all feedback on the diff is greatly appreciated.
--
Party On,
Adam