Changes to the wiki

Phil Bull philbull at gmail.com
Sat May 12 13:53:00 UTC 2007

Hi Duncan,

On Sat, 2007-05-12 at 15:25 +0200, Duncan Lithgow wrote:
[...]
> My point is still that if I wanted websites in general to use small
> text because it looks better (and  I agree with those who say it does)
> then I should set my browser to render all websites small. If on the
> other hand I have poor eyesight and have set my browser to render all
> pages with a larger font - then the wiki will look small(er) to me,
> forcing me to make a change every time I visit so the wiki uses the
> size I prefer. But it's a relative size and that's the main thing.
>
> I don't see much difference between em and named, except I think there
> are more steps available using em units.

I hope I'm not missing your point, but here's my understanding of the
situation:

As far as I know, relative font sizes are calculated by the browser
relative to a 'base' size. If someone has poor eyesight, they will have
hopefully increased the base size in their browser.

For example, the default base font size in Firefox seems to be 16pt.
'0.8em' should be 80% of this size, so in my browser I should see 0.8em
text as 16 x 0.8 = 12.8pt.

However, if I had increased the base size to 24pt, 0.8em text would be
displayed as 24 x 0.8 = 19.2pt, much bigger.

Thanks,

Phil

--
Phil Bull