Desktop Guide suggests Gxine for a default video player

Phil Bull philbull at gmail.com
Fri May 4 23:51:17 UTC 2007

Hi Ari,

On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 23:43 +0300, Ari Torhamo wrote:
[...]
> Easy codec installation is a different matter in my opinion. If we think
> this from the user point of view, easy codec installation is not an 'I
> can't play a video or audio file' situation. It's more like 'it took
> just a few OKs play my video files' situation. I would look at easy
> codec installation more as a feature - which is how it has been regarded
> for example in the reviews of the media. It is going to be used by the
> large majority of users and will be seen as an obvious step when
> beginning to use the program. Wouldn't 'I can't play a video or audio
> file' section be better saved for problem situations - like when the
> user actually gets a message that the video file can't be played?

Do users need documentation on features like this? To me, it seems that
users are only likely to read the help files if they encounter a
problem. If easy codec installation works as it should, there is no
problem and so any documentation on it is superfluous. It pops up
automatically, the user only has to click one or two obvious buttons,
and their video starts playing. What is there to document here?

Thanks,

Phil

--
Phil Bull